Before School Care Routine
- When children arrive during BSC they get time to play inside and outside.
- At 8:30am children from Year 2 and older walk to school. The Year 1s go to class with a staff member at this time.
- OSCA staff take PP children to their classrooms at 8:45am and sit with them until the teacher starts.
After School Care Routine
- Parents need to contact us via email, text or phone call if their child will not be attending the ASC session for that day or a period of time. This is very important as once the school bell rings and the children are supposed to come to OSCA, we are responsible for their safety and wellbeing until the parents sign them out in the evening.
- For the ASC sessions, we have two locations the children can attend – the Undercroft and the Main Hall.
- The Main Hall is used for our older children (Monday – Thursday and Fridays generally from Year 3 and up. Children meet the OSCA leaders in the undercover area (close to the canteen and OSCA office) and the staff do the roll call there. Once all children are accounted for, the staff will walk them across the footbridge to the Main Hall. Once there the staff will have a short meeting with the children regarding the day’s activities. Children are then able to play for about 45 minutes, before afternoon tea is served. Once afternoon tea is eaten and cleaned up, the children then play either inside or outside in the park area.
- The Undercroft is used by PP, Year 1 and 2 children for ASC sessions. The PP children are collected by our staff at their classroom. They will then walk in a group back to OSCA.
- The Year 1 and 2 children meet in the common area in the junior school. Once all students have arrived the staff will do the roll call. They then go to the Undercroft, put their bags on the shelves outside, and start to play under staff supervision.
- Students who are on the homework list will complete their homework prior to going outside to play.
- After homework/free play, the children are called to a meeting, where the staff go through the rest of the afternoon’s routines/rules. Afternoon tea is then served.
- Children play either inside or outside in different areas of the school. If we are not in the Undercroft there will always be a sign on the door saying where in the school, we are.
- Each child needs to bring their own water bottles to OSCA (as they do for school); it can be filled at the water fountains if it is emptied during the day.
- As part of our accreditation requirements we provide a balanced and nutritious range of snacks for children.
- We have a term menu. Children’s allergy and dietary requirements are taken into account, and an alternative will be provided if they cannot eat what is on the menu on the day.
- The menus are displayed on the fridge at both settings. Please feel free to have a look at this when you collect your child.
- We cannot cater for fussy eaters, so if your child does not eat what we offer, we suggest you pack him/ her a bit of extra food for the afternoon.
Egg and Nut Allergies and Anaphylaxis
The Centre encourages parents to avoid sending eggs, peanut butter or other nuts in their children’s lunches, as we have several children who have severe allergies in attendance at the Centre and exposure to these foods could cause an allergic reaction.
- OSCA provides sunscreen and will make sure children apply sunscreen when they arrive at OSCA and throughout the day.
- If your child has any sunscreen allergies, please make sure you provide his/her sunscreen. Children have to wear a hat at all times when they are playing outside during spring and summer.
- During the autumn and winter months (Terms 2 and 3) we do not require children to wear hats or use sunscreen unless the UV rays are moderate to high. We check the UV rating on a daily basis and inform the children if they need to wear hats.
OSCA has access to a large play area which is used for basketball, football, cricket and tennis. In addition, the centre makes use of several school classrooms for indoor activities. We have a wide variety of sporting, craft, and video/audio equipment. There are also many games and puzzles available. OSCA offers a range of interesting activities and play for children, who are free to choose those of interest to them.
Enrolments & Cancellation Policy BSC/ASC
- Due to licensing requirements, you must apply for a place in BSC/ASC on an annual basis. Enrolment forms for the following year are normally sent out in October and need to be returned by a set date, usually near the end of November.
- If you accept a place for your child it is considered a permanent booking; however, you may cancel your place by giving two weeks’ notice in writing. You will be charged for these two weeks.
- We also offer casual bookings for BSC/ASC sessions, subject to availability. If you would like a casual booking, please call or email the office and we will do our best to assist you. If you book a casual place you will be billed for that session, whether or not you use it.
If your child is unable to attend please contact the Centre immediately. If we are able to on sell your child’s place you will not be charged. When the bus arrives for excursions, we will not be able to wait for children that are late as we need to keep to our time schedule.
Invoices & Payments
- Families are invoiced on a fortnightly basis. Invoices need to be paid in full before the next invoice comes out. Our first cycle of invoices for 2016 started on February 1. These invoices should be paid before the next one comes out on February 14. We accept cash, cheque and direct deposits.
- The invoices will show the care session and dates the children attended or if they were absent, as well as payments made. There is sometimes a delay between you making a payment and it being received in our bank account; the invoice will only show payments received by the date of the invoice.
- If you have children at both settings (Main Hall and Undercroft) you will receive two invoices. The setting’s name is found on the top right of the invoice. It is important for our accounting purposes that you pay each invoice separately, and clearly identify which invoice (and therefore setting) you are paying.
- On your payment please use your surname with the setting as the reference. Undercroft can be abbreviated to UC and Main Hall to MH. For a Main Hall payment for the Smith family the reference would be “Smith MH”.
- Families must pay for all booked care sessions. If your child is sick, going on a play date or the family is going on holiday, you are still liable for the fee for that session.
- A late penalty fee of $2.00 per minute per child will be added to your account if you do not collect your children before 6:00pm.
- You can set up a direct debit payment through your own bank to pay OSCA. If you do this please remember that Vacation Care fees are different, and will affect your invoice amount.
- If you are eligible for the Child Care Benefit, this deduction will be applied and shown automatically on your invoice.
- The Child Care Rebate is normally paid (by the government) into your bank account on a quarterly basis. If you would prefer this to be deducted from your invoices you need to apply for this at Centrelink, we are unable to process this for you.
- Bank transfer details:
- Account name: Mt Hawthorn Out of School Hours Centre
- BSB – 066 117
- Account number – 1010 1677
- OSCA provides the opportunity for children at both sites to independently do homework. The time available varies from 10 – 20 minutes, depending on the day.
- If you would like your child to complete homework at OSCA please email us so that it can be arranged.
- Children are responsible for coming to the study area and completing their work. OSCA staff cannot take responsibility for this for ensuring that work is completed. We will supervise the children and can usually listen to a page or two of reading. It is not possible for one on one sessions to be provided.
- Parents need to fill out an Extra Curriculum form when their child is going to take part in activities after school.
- This form will give permission to a specific parent to take a child to the activity after school and sign the child in at OSCA after the activity.
Signing in & out sheets
- Please make sure you sign your child in or out of every session. In case of emergency we need this information, and it is also a legal document that we have to provide to Department of Children’s Services.
We have an electronic version of the enrolment forms available. Parents can save the form electronically, add the new program’s signature page to the document, and then email the completed form back to OSCA.
Please fill in all parts of your enrolment form. We are legally unable to accept an incomplete form, and so will return it to you for completion.
After you have sent in your completed enrolment form you will receive a confirmation email, normally within 24 hours.
As per our enrolment policy, once you have received this confirmation email your booking is final. If you cancel, add or swap days you will still be required to pay for the days you have already booked.
Last minute bookings during Vacation Care will only be accepted if there is space available and an enrolment form has been completed and handed in before your child/ren attend.
Please remember that our opening hours for Vacation Care are 7:30am – 6:00pm. We will only accept children from 7:30am onwards.
Mt Hawthorn Out of School Hours Centre Incorporated (OSCA) is a non-profit organisation which employs qualified and caring staff to provide out of school hours care and recreation programs for pre-primary and primary school aged children. OSCA is conveniently located off Killarney St, at the UNDERCROFT.
Children must be at the centre 20 minutes prior to departure times on excursion days. Please check the daily notice, on the parent information board, for any changes to outing times.
Bookings are essential. Bookings must be made before the last day of term to secure a place for your child. OSCA is a very busy Centre so no guarantee of spaces is made, particularly if forms are handed in late. Bookings cannot be cancelled and must be paid for. We do not have a cancellation policy for VAC, but we can on sell if there is a waiting list.
Staff will confirm your booking via email.
We provide: Nutritious morning and afternoon tea, including drinks
Please wear: Comfortable clothing and enclosed footwear. A hat is required at all times.
Please bring: Cold packed lunch every day and a Water bottle.
Please DO NOT bring: Toys or valuables (Staff cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage), Spending money, Foods containing nuts and eggs
Vacation Care Fees – Daily (All days booked MUST be paid for)
In-Centre Day $50.00
Incursion Day $62.00
Excursion Day $75.00
Late fees will be charged if children are not collected by 6pm.
Assistance with Fees
You may be eligible for fee assistance through the Family Assistance Office (FAO). Contact FAO on 13 61 50 to assess your eligibility and to obtain Customer Reference Numbers for your family and your child/ren. Our provider number is 407 049 358B.
Fees are payable within 14 days of receiving an invoice. All days booked MUST be paid for. Amounts can be paid by cash, cheque or direct deposit. Direct Deposits can be made to the below Commonwealth Bank account, and please ensure your child’s name is noted on the transaction.
BSB 066 117 Account Number 1010 1677
If paying by cash, please pay the correct amount. Cheques should be made payable to Mt Hawthorn Out of School Hours Centre Inc. and given to the Director or Assistant Director who will provide you with a receipt.
Overdue Fees Policy
OSCA is a non-profit organisation, so we rely on all parents to meet their payment obligations.
If you do experience difficulties in paying your fees, please contact the Director on 0431 815 586 to make alternative arrangements. Unpaid fees may result in the loss of your child’s place at the centre.